- Is an Anglicized version of the Irish name Seán (Ulster dialect)
- An Irish derivative of the name John
- Means “Gift from God” or “God is gracious”
- Also used as a last name, and with Mc, Mac and O’ prefixes
- Known for the 1949 novel “Shane” by Jack Schaefer
- Known for Canadian professional hockey player Shane Doan (born 1976)
- Known for Shane Lynch, Irish singer from Boyzone (born 1971)
- Known for Shane MacGowan, Irish singer/songwriter from the Pogues (born 1957)
The name Shane
Note: This article may feature affiliate links to Amazon or other companies, and purchases made via these links may earn us a small commission at no additional cost to you. Find out more here.
FREE baby name decor printable/download
Click below to download a large version of this baby name freebie! You can create something great with this graphic: print it out and frame it as a decoration for your baby’s room, or use the design as the basis for a cut file to use with your favorite electronic cutting machine (such as a Cricut or Silhouette).
After clicking the name image below, look in the upper right for saving and sharing options. Note: This download is for personal use only — the file may not be sold or redistributed. If you know someone who might like one of their own, please send them the link to this site!