- From the early Latin word “lucere,” meaning illumination or light, like the name Lucius
- From Latin, Lucas may be derived from luke, meaning sacred woods or a grove
- From the Gaelic: from luach, “reward,” and cas, “hasty”
- An early Gaelic version of the name was Lusdas
- In Greek, it is spelled Loukas, which can mean “man from Lucania” (a place in Italy)
- Commonly shortened to Luke
- Also used as a surname, such as with filmmaker George Lucas
- The name of a book in the Christian Bible
About the baby name
Note: This article may feature affiliate links to Amazon or other companies, and purchases made via these links may earn us a small commission at no additional cost to you. Find out more here.
Look! More baby names you might like
FREE baby name decor download
Click below to download a large version of this baby name freebie! You can create something great with this graphic: print it out and frame it as a decoration for your baby’s room, or use the design as the basis for a cut file to use with your favorite electronic cutting machine (such as a Cricut or Silhouette).
After clicking the name image below, look in the upper right for saving and sharing options. Note: This download is for personal use only — the file may not be sold or redistributed. If you know someone who might like one of their own, please send them the link to this site!