- Comes from the Old English Berclea, meaning a birch tree wood or clearing
- First recorded use of this word is from the year 824 AD, as a name for the town of Berkeley in Gloucestershire, England
- A city across the bay from San Francisco, known for its university (University of California at Berkeley, or UCB) and for its liberal outlook and role in the hippie movement in the 1960s
- Commonly (mis-)spelled Berkley
- Also see the names Barclay and Burke
About the baby name
Note: This article may feature affiliate links to Amazon or other companies, and purchases made via these links may earn us a small commission at no additional cost to you. Find out more here.
Look! More baby names you might like
FREE baby name decor download
Click below to download a large version of this baby name freebie! You can create something great with this graphic: print it out and frame it as a decoration for your baby’s room, or use the design as the basis for a cut file to use with your favorite electronic cutting machine (such as a Cricut or Silhouette).
After clicking the name image below, look in the upper right for saving and sharing options. Note: This download is for personal use only — the file may not be sold or redistributed. If you know someone who might like one of their own, please send them the link to this site!