- From the Old English word ceorl or churl, which meant “a man” or a male peasant (freeman)
- A popular nickname for Charles
- A nickname for Charlotte or Charlene, in which case the C may be pronounced like S
- Famous for actor Charlie Chaplin, musicians Charlie Parker & Charlie Daniels, and the cartoon character Charlie Brown
- The name of a perfume made by Revlon
- May also be spelled Charley
About the baby name
Note: This article may feature affiliate links to Amazon or other companies, and purchases made via these links may earn us a small commission at no additional cost to you. Find out more here.
Look! More baby names you might like
FREE baby name decor download
Click below to download a large version of this baby name freebie! You can create something great with this graphic: print it out and frame it as a decoration for your baby’s room, or use the design as the basis for a cut file to use with your favorite electronic cutting machine (such as a Cricut or Silhouette).
After clicking the name image below, look in the upper right for saving and sharing options. Note: This download is for personal use only — the file may not be sold or redistributed. If you know someone who might like one of their own, please send them the link to this site!