- Liam is a short form of the Irish name Uilliam, which was the Old Irish version of the name William.
- The name William is composed of two parts in the Old German language: willa (for will or resolve) and helma (for helmet). One way these were used together was to denote a soldier or guardian.
- Related names include William, Wilhelm, Gwilym, Will, Bill, Billy, Billie, Guillaume, Guillermo
- In the US, Liam was among the top 10 baby names starting in 2012, and reached the #1 spot in 2017.
- Liam didn’t appear in the top 1000 names in the US before 1967. It was at #938 for that one year, then dropped off the list again until 1974.
- The name started to become popular in the United States in the mid-1990s. As it became the choice of more and more parents stateside, it gradually became less popular in the United Kingdom.
- Some famous people with the name: Actor Liam Hemsworth, Singer Liam Gallagher (of Oasis)
About the baby name
Note: This article may feature affiliate links to Amazon or other companies, and purchases made via these links may earn us a small commission at no additional cost to you. Find out more here.
Look! More baby names you might like
FREE baby name decor download
Click below to download a large version of this baby name freebie! You can create something great with this graphic: print it out and frame it as a decoration for your baby’s room, or use the design as the basis for a cut file to use with your favorite electronic cutting machine (such as a Cricut or Silhouette).
After clicking the name image below, look in the upper right for saving and sharing options. Note: This download is for personal use only — the file may not be sold or redistributed. If you know someone who might like one of their own, please send them the link to this site!