- Liam is a short form of the Irish name Uilliam, which was the Old Irish version of the name William.
- The name William is composed of two parts in the Old German language: willa (for will or resolve) and helma (for helmet). One way these were used together was to denote a soldier or guardian.
- Related names include William, Wilhelm, Gwilym, Will, Bill, Billy, Billie, Guillaume, Guillermo
- In the US, Liam was among the top 10 baby names starting in 2012, and reached the #1 spot in 2017.
- Liam didn’t appear in the top 1000 names in the US before 1967. It was at #938 for that one year, then dropped off the list again until 1974.
- The name started to become popular in the United States in the mid-1990s. As it became the choice of more and more parents stateside, it gradually became less popular in the United Kingdom.
- Some famous people with the name: Actor Liam Hemsworth, Singer Liam Gallagher (of Oasis)
What do you think of this baby name?
Click on a star to rate it! (5 is best)
Average rating / 5. Vote count: